Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Day One and Two of the High Protein Diet

So yesterday I started the high protein diet.  This consists of an Atkins protein shake for breakfast, and Atkins protein shake for lunch, and a high protein dinner consisting of low fat meats (yesterday I had Turkey Meatballs).  I can work in some low carb veggies and fruits.. except I’m not a huge fan of veggies- I’ll stick with the fruits.  Doctor also said I can do sugar free popsicles and sugar free pudding and such..  I’m doing sugar free italian ice at night before I go to bed.  During the day I snacked on a banana.  I’m not really sure if I’m supposed to be drinking coffee… but I’m still drinking it.

Yesterday around 2:30pm I had the craziest headache.  I was hungry and my body was mad at me.  That’s when I had a banana.  That didn’t really help, but oh well, I’m determined to do this, and if that means suffering a little.. then I guess I’m gunna have to suffer.

I’m anxious a lot lately.  I wake up at 5 or 6 am every day and my heart feels like it’s racing.. my thoughts are a parade in my head going in circles… I know it’s because I’m stressed with all the trouble I’ve had so far.  I can’t help but be ‘on alert’ for the next thing that will cause me trouble.  I’m exhausted.  So tired of being let down.. I feel like if I stay ‘on alert’ I won’t be let down because I will already have been expecting it.  My therapist says I’m putting myself through torture.  I agree with her.  But I feel like I can’t control my thoughts.  It’s almost like a ‘fight or flight’ response.
I’m just glad my depression is not too bad this week.  They had to switch my anti-depressant and my anti-anxiety medication from extended release to regular release last week.  This is in preparation for surgery, since I will have to be able to crush my pills and you can’t crush extended release pills.  I was worried about the switch in medication coinciding with a major depression meltdown.  So far I’ve been good.  Let’s hope I stay that way!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Ask Me Anything!